Thursday, March 26, 2009

Flight of Challenge (SFYTT Mar 21)


This week's Sketch For You To Try on the i{heart}2stamp blog involved a star so it immediately set me to thinking about the stars in a box of Christmas chipboard shapes I have gathering dust.  Then I got the words to the song "The Flower That Shattered the Stone" that John Denver sang and Joe Henry wrote stuck in my head so I typed them and printed them on a transparency.  Naturally, since I taught Earth Science for years I can't think of that song without thinking about the weathering process of root pry (when the roots of a plant grow into tiny cracks in a rock and proceed to crack it apart).  That of course brought me to the flower tamp with the roots below the bulb.  The flower is a Camas or Wild Hyacinth (Family Liliaceae, Genus Camassia) which happens to be one of my favorite wild flowers. (BTW, the bulbs of this flower were an important food source for the Native Americans and each year I see fewer and fewer of them as the highway department "clears" the roadsides.)  I f I hadn't got stuck with that song in my head and wanting to illustrate the words of the song I wouldn't have had to make such a giant card to fit in the flower and I think I would have liked the sketch better!

Credits:  
Stamps: Stars and children - Magenta, Scene- PSX, Flower - Above the Mark
Circle punch - Family Treasures
Chipboard - Scrapworks
Paper - Wausau Papers
Other - Memories ink, Prismacolor pencils, Office Depot Inkjet Transparency, rainbow embossing powder from a company that went out of business years ago!

1 comment: